Involved in Global Development
The challenge for many firms and individuals wishing to participate in development activities is within comprehending the intricacies of the process to secure involvement. Activities through agencies like the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID), the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank, are usually let through a public, competitive tendering process. Adding to this problem is the fact that in almost all cases, the process is different for every agency.
Myth - that the development market is different.
Well obviously it is, as are all industries - different clients, different products, different channels to market, different cultures, different environments, different risks etc.
What makes it the same is the must make sure client needs are met, if not exceeded, and that services and products are as desired/needed, not imposed.
So how can you become involved? Is it luck? It is skill? Is it people, goods and services?
All and more I am sure.
A key step often required is the need to demonstrate experience, understanding, value, sustainability of strategies etc to those assessing a tender.
Reality Check - Successful tenders must be compliant to the requirements of the request, must be price competitive, and want to obtain the balance between your technical requirements of the response and the selling nature of the process.
One of the most important elements of development initiatives is their ability to produce sustainable outcomes into the communities within which the activities take place. Consequently, gaining knowledge from past activities assists to shape design for future initiatives. For firms or individuals seeking participation, understanding how such learning could modify development approaches is a critical step in determining the type and level of involvement to target.
Fact - gaining knowledge from past activities continues to shape future interventions.
The Development Market Today
The following points are some key observations in regards to the directions [approaches] being drawn in the availability of development assistance. These directions have the potential to impact on any strategy organisations as well as people might adopt to enter, maintain, or enhance their involvement:
• Funds are being diverted from government aid agencies along with other government departments for sector-specific programs
• There is a continuing trend to devolve more selection to the offshore post of the donor country, out of the ‘central’ headquarters
• An increase in donor co-ordination and collaboration where, for example, the USA [through USAID] and Australia [through AusAID] might align program approaches to prevent duplication and other associated impediments, into a sector- wide approach
• A trend seeing more assistance being aligned to foreign policy where, for example, security and regional stability could influence aid disbursement
• Bilateral donors are opening their markets, allowing for individuals and organisations to compete for once closed opportunities
• There is an increasing trend for a proceed to larger activities, such as sector-wide approaches, instead of specific project interventions
• Scale and global reach will probably be an essential criteria in winning and managing major programs
• Relationships and networks in country with donor representatives, recipient governments, local organisations and development professionals are getting to be increasingly important.Visit This Site Right Here Most Popular Ted Talk